Thursday, July 31, 2014

The Schiaparelli Bowknot Sweater !!

Hello everyone! I've been MIA it seems like more often these days. I have met some wonderful people who have been keeping my hands BUSY! Last year I had the honor of contacting Patricia Volk for a very special project. I learned that Patricia Volk was going on a book tour to promote her book entitled SHOCKING: My Mother, Schiaparelli, and Me. (the sweater is on pp.136)and she was looking for someone to replicate the sweater for her. I was a bit apprehensive as I had never constructed a sweater before, nor had I done any serious colorwork. To make matters more interesting I had to learn the Armenian knitting technique for knitting color work AND the sweater had to be done in a month...WHEW! After discussing the particulars with Ms. Volk, we both decided that I could do it! I ordered the yarn from Knit Picks which was a very nice merino /cashmere blend yarn called "Capretta". While waiting for the yarn to arrive I swatched several samples to try my hand at the Armenian knitting technique
Once the yarn arrived I was able to practice a few swatches...the technique creates a fabric that allows a contrasting color to peek through the dominant color creating a shadow effect shown here:
I downloaded the pattern which was found on Ravelry and began to study the schematics...I definitely had my work cut out for me. Ms. Volk supplied me with original photos of the Schiaparelli Bowknot Sweater. I then had to magnify the photos and basically incorporate the stitch grid on the pattern to the photo I was provided. After intense concentration (which I still don't know how I was able to keep a cool head) the sweater slowly started to take shape.
After construction of all the pieces, they were blocked and then sewn together:
And there you have it! The Schiaparelli Bowknot Sweater! And here is a snapshot of Patricia Volk wearing it to a book signing
It was such an adventure to make this sweater....who knows what else is in store for Yarncoture? ;)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Like It?? Retweet It!!

They Like Yarncoture!